Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Laughing the Day Away in the Merry Old Land of Oz


I've been doing much better. My depression slump is lifting, and I feel stronger and more shiny each day. I've still had some worries on my mind, but I'm making progress, and that's all that truly matters. Today, I worked on my taxes all morning, which is a very quick way to launch into BOO HISS land. However, I also got word that I've solidified a new contract, which means I have a job again! This one will go through the rest of the year, is with old friends, and is work I really like doing. SCORE!

To celebrate another rise from the ashes, let's take a look at the Beacon Hill, shall we? In the photo above, you can see where we last left off with the Wizard of Oz rooms. I'd installed the poppy ceilings and the Emerald City walls on the first floor. Everything seemed to be going well after painting those floors 800 times with different paints and sealers:


But no matter what I did, the floors wouldn't pass the scrape test. Then I put something on top of one of them, and when I lifted it back off a few weeks later, it brought the paint with it:


At this point, I threw up my hands and threw the floors straight into the garbage. The thing with miniatures, kind of like with men, is that you need to know when to throw in the towel. You can work and work and work, but if "they" aren't going to work with you, it's always going to be disappointing and disastrous. You have to know when to call it a day and try something else. Check!

With the floors out of the picture, I realized I needed to enlarge the doorways to fit the doors I bought for them BEFORE I put on the rest of the Emerald City walls. This took about a year of hemming, hawing, scraping at the walls with a box cutter, and overall misery. Finally, I asked Pa to do it for me. He enlarged the doorways using a router bit on the Dremel. Presto magic! Bigger doors! The next day, I was able to add the bling.

Note to Self: Ask Pa for help earlier next time.

Here is the top floor:


Here is the middle floor (there will be trim or something to cover the exposed bits):


And I extended the bling on the ground floor:


All together, it looks FANTASTIC and VERY BRIGHT:


They look darker in this natural light photo, but you can see the full house here. Note Luna Lair hiding from Gretchen in the Space Room:


So what to do about those pesky floors? Well, I'll be using the egg carton tutorial from Brae to make brand new floors. I have the egg cartons, now I just need to find the time and patience.

*winks*

9 comments:

A. Wright said...

Egg carton cutting is a good movie and tv tray project ;) Good to see you giving the BH some love. I've found keeping the projects rotating makes it all feel fresh and motivates and inspires me.

Sarah K. said...

Looking good! Bummer about the floors.

otterine said...

go get 'em!!! :D I love the razzle dazzle bling walls!

Jane Smith said...

Nice big project! I love the emerald walls ;)

Congratulations on the new work contract, good to spend busy time, good medicine.

I am still feeling bummed out about winter but I can hear the birds of spring so blooming thoughts ahead!

Mad For Mod said...

Glad you're feeling better! I love the shiny blingy walls and the poppy ceilings! You might try spray painting plastic brick with yellow spray paint made for plastic. Yay spring!

Mini Dork said...

That's a lot of bling. Looks great!!

Debora said...

It looks great. I love the shot of all the floors. The Emerald has big impact!

terry said...

I want to live there.

Brooke said...

Love it! Keep up the awesome work!