Sunday, February 09, 2014

Deconstructing GGV


After figuring out how long it would take to strip, sand, and repaint all of the siding on the Golden Gate View, I tore that sh*t off and cackled like a wicked old witch when pieces of it broke in half. I was so happy to FINALLY be working on Maison McColl that I just didn't care about keeping the siding anymore. It won't go to waste, however. I'm keeping it in a baggie and will use it to build furniture in the future.

Meanwhile, the existing walls of the house got naked. Here, you can see one of the walls at the top with the siding still on, and the one on the bottom without it:


Some of it was really stubborn:


As the siding came off, the walls started to come apart. This was FANTASTIC because I like seeing exactly how they fit together AND I was able to ensure all of the joins would be really strong. The next step is to have Pa help me get the stubborn bits and old glue off, but that should be relatively easy. He says he has special tools for this kind of thing (I can't remember the name because Pa has 9,000 tools):


Gretchen was very excited about Maison McColl. She rolled around on it to mark it as another one of HER HOUSES:


I took all of the Plexiglas windows out. They'll need to be replaced because they've yellowed quite a bit with age. However, they will make perfect templates AND I got to see how they fit into the walls, so they were no loss. A million billion tiny bits of wood came out of this bay structure. Seriously, there are a LOT of parts to this kit:


Meanwhile, Gretchen kept rolling. I figured her weight would help with the drying process, so I didn't mind (Doesn't she look HUGE? She's actually quite small. That's her winter fur -- she gets quite the coat, oh yes she does!):


Webster was kind enough to NOT crawl on Maison McColl, but he did sniff and mark as needed with his face:


I'm so crazy in love with this house. I daydream about it all the time. I've been reading my Art Deco book to learn about the period and fantasizing about how it will look when it's finished. It will be a looong time until it's finished, but the process or journey is truly the best part.

Meanwhile, I found a few good wallpapers to try out. These are the most Deco-ish papers I could find. I'm sure I'll find more in the future. These are scrapbook papers from Mangleson's in Omaha. I always find the BEST scrapbook paper there:


This one is my favorite:


I see a black and white theme happening here. I'm hoping to find more color at some point:


This is a muted, yellow/mustard color:


I grabbed a couple of these ladies to cut out and use as decoration:


A while back, Ma and I went to an estate sale in Omaha. I found this tile piece for a whole .50:


In the photo, the tile is sitting on one of the floors for Maison McColl. You can see that it's a bit too small, but it could make good flooring if I do it right. It's super heavy, so I dunno. We'll see. Right now, I'm a bit baffled about the flooring situation. I haven't seen a lot of good Art Deco flooring designs yet.

With all of my builds, I tend to get more motivated when I find a key piece of furniture to spur me on. In this case, it will be my very first fireplace (I'm actually removing all three fireplaces, and perhaps the chimney, from the Beacon Hill).

I found this photo on MANY Web sites. I can't figure out where it originated from for sure, but I do certainly know that this is NOT my photo. I'm simply using it as inspiration. The fireplace itself is oddly referenced as being in either the Twin Cities or LA, depending on where you find the photo. I'll just go with the Twin Cities, since I'm a Midwesterner and all.

Here is the drop dead gorgeous Art Deco fireplace that I will be copying in miniature form to put in Maison McColl:


Image c/o TwinCities.com

Isn't it STUNNING??? I LOVE IT. I know I can't possibly do it justice, but I'll sure give it a try.  It's entirely possible that the top of Maison McColl won't have a chimney or another fireplace one level up, but it will have this mysterious fireplace on the first floor for sure. It will be a test of my skills to get this built, but I'm sure going to try!

And do you recall this clock? Pa put a new battery it in, so it's ticking away just fine. I guess that means the official clock for this build has started. Tick, tick, tick....


3 comments:

Debora said...

I love it all! It's wonderful. The clock and future fireplace are perfect!

otterine said...

Marvelous!! I like that we are doing twin builds...fraternal twins, that is. :D

Lyssa said...

Yay!!! I am so excited to watch two close friends start the same house!