Thursday, September 05, 2013

Make It Your Own


I'm almost finished with the knotwork rug. I had a plan to hang this on the wall in the Spring Fling secret build, but now I don't know if it will fit. The walls are somewhat narrow. We'll see. If it doesn't work out, I can always put it in the Beacon Hill.

Speaking of minis, the Omaha-Council Bluffs Miniature Guild is celebrating Nebraska NAME Day this month. I signed up for this event back in January when I first joined the guild. It's an all-day workshop, so by the end of the day, we will have this entire bistro finished -- or close to finished:


Inside are lovely food and drink goodies:


And a booth for the patrons:


I think this little bistro is adorable, but personally, I'm not really a bistro person. Ever since I signed up for the event, I've been hemming and hawing about the bistro element. But I don't really like wine. But I can't picture making this. It's been weighing on me. What am I going to do with this bistro when I'm finished?

The creation of dollhouse miniatures is an expression of one's self. We make minis that reflect our personal styles and interests. Just as my friends probably can't picture me sitting outside this bistro, I doubt they can see me making it, either. But here's the thing: I don't have to make this kit. I can put my own spin on it.

So I thought and thought and thought. Months went by. I kept thinking. I was trying to find a way to use the minis and innards of the kit in a way that would suit me and reflect my LOUD or WEIRD style. I kept coming up with nothing.

I turned to Brae, April, and Lyssa for help. Brae suggested that I turn it into a hookah lounge, which was a fantastic suggestion. But then I realized I couldn't get the mini hookahs I would want, and I've never been to a hookah bar in Real Life (although I did go to an oxygen bar once), and I didn't have time to drive up to Omaha and haunt hookah bars for research. But Brae did mention Alice in Wonderland when she brought up the hookahs. Intermeresting...

Alice got stuck in my brain quite hard. The great thing about Alice in Wonderland is that it's in the public domain, so you can use all of the images from the original book as much as you want. SCORE. I can easily find the art I want, print it off, and make wall hangings. Also? The black and white checked floor will work just fine with an Alice theme. Then Brae made my day when she suggested "Drink Me Café." Yes. Oh yes. Now all of those cups, saucers, plates, and silverware can stay for sure. PERFECT.

The sheet for the event says I need to bring my own flooring, so I chose this one. It also said to bring my own wallpaper if I didn't like the choice they attached, so I need to find a good design that goes with my theme. I also need some fabric, which I can easily pick up at Hobby Lobby. Other than that, I decided I didn't need to order anything... except a couple of decorations. I couldn't resist. I'll take pictures when they arrive. For now, I'll keep you in suspense.

I rented the Disney version of Alice in Wonderland to quickly jog my memory, but I will NOT be building Drink Me Café in line with the Disney franchise. Instead, I'm going to use images from the original book. Lucky for me, I also have a copy of The Annotated Alice from back when I worked in the kids room at the bookstore.

So I was all nervous and doubtful for months about my ability to make the bistro kit come to life, but now I'm extremely excited. I knew these key chain tea sets I got at the dollar store a year ago would come in handy one day:



A very merry UnBirthday to you.

3 comments:

Fiber said...

Love that idea! Can't wait to see it finished!

Debora said...

Great idea, and definitely more like the creative you!

otterine said...

Hooray! I can't wait to see this take shape! :D