Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Wee Trap Door


I've been thinking about the trap door for the Serial Killer/Crime Room for quite some time. I wasn't sure how I was going to do it, so I just Thought About It and Talked About It a Lot. Yesterday, I decided to quit stalling and give it a whirl. The first step was to make a card stock template of the bottom of the room. The closest piece to my hand was this lovely purplish color. I cut out the template and stared at it for a while.

I think we all know by now that I'm not very good at measuring, no? It can be a problem for me. In a meager attempt to do this properly, I got out my self-sealing cutting mat that is nicely gridded. Then I got out a ruler and made a little box. It's 4x2 or 4x3 or something in between. Basically, it's a rectangle. I cut it out with my X-Acto. Presto magic! Trap door! Done! Just kidding.

I have a stash of skinny sticks that look like skinny tongue depressors. I got those out and started chomping off the rounded ends with my Easy Cutter. Then I glued them in a random design over the little door part:


I put the door back in its place:


And then I started randomly placing sticks all around it and gluing them down:


To keep the door from moving, I taped it back in the original sheet:


I really got in a groove (no pun intended, well maybe) with the sticks. Chomp, chomp, glue, glue. Then I realized I should probably make sure the template really did fit into the floor area FOR SURE. It did:


While it was still drying, I popped out the trap door just to make sure it didn't accidentally get glued down:


This picture looks quite different because I took it with my ipad. Of COURSE my camera battery is dead. The picture is reflecting the wallpaper and ceiling quite a bit, but you can still see the completed floor:


If you didn't know where it was, I think you'd have a hard time finding it. SCORE!

Originally, I was going to put hinges on the door and a little handle. Now that I see it like this, however, I'm going to leave it the way it is. I'll stain the floor and polish it up, but I'm not going to add anything that will give away the secret compartment. My brilliant mini friend April suggested putting a magnet under it. Then I could just use a magnet to lift the door without doing any damage. Thank you, wise April. 

I was going to cut a hole in the foundation and add a Plexiglas cover to it so you could see what was under the floor easily. Now that it's all hidden, it's staying hidden. At some time in the future, I'll cut the actual floor, install a little box under there, and fill it with Serial Killer-ish things. Then I'll freak people out by pulling up the floorboards when they least expect it.

*insert wild, insane laughter*

But seriously, it's really hard to find a mini 1:12 skeleton when it's not October. My mini friends have told me the best option for scale is a little skeleton that comes on a garland. I hear you can buy these at the dollar stores (!). So I will wait patiently until I can get a mini skeleton. Then I will fold it up and squash it into a little box or something. Perhaps I will roll it up in a miniature rug? Not sure. I have plenty of time to plan evilness awesomeness.

Now I just have to figure out what kind of furniture killers have in their little rooms. Hmmmm. Methinks I need a "loud" couch of some kind. Something kind of ugly. Or some old, creaky rockers? We'll see. I'll think about it for a while.

In the meantime, watch your step.

5 comments:

A. Wright said...

You're welcome ;) Thanks for the plug :D

Anonymous said...

God.

I'm laughing but at the same time I have this urge to check the locks on my doors and windows and I keep looking over my shoulder.

Or down around my knees. The whole miniature thing is throwing me off, I don't know where to look.

Robin

Just Margaret said...

Love this!! Now, I don't know if this will fit your skeleton needs, but I stuck these in Christmas stockings one year (yes we enjoy our holidays with a twist of bizarre!) it may be around the right size...

http://www.sciplus.com/p/GLOWINTHEDARK-PLASTIC-SKELETON-KIT_2690

Keep up the good work :-)

Isabelle Ante said...

Brilliant!

otterine said...

Yeah...you could go all David Lynch Blue Velvet on it. :D