Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Scaling Back the Tree, or Blondie Accepts Change Gracefully


Mary and Joseph metal art c/o Grandpa Blonderson

This year, Ma asked if it was OK to only decorate the Christmas tree with the already-included lights and some simple balls. I said sure, and I meant it. Usually, we decorate the family tree with ornaments that go all the way back to the early 70s. It takes all afternoon to fill the tree with memories and shiny goodness -- all while listening to Mannheim Steamroller music.

Since I've been home, it's been my job to decorate the tree each year. I enjoy being part of the process because I no longer decorate my own home. I'm one of those people who figures it's pointless to put up decorations when no one comes to visit me anyway. Farmhouse Villa looks exactly the same year-round. Nothing fancy to see here. So having Ma's house be all pretty and jazzed up is important to me. It helps keep the holiday and traditions alive. But you know what? It's also a huge pain in the a$$.

Ma knows how much I love Christmas, so she was kind enough to ask my opinion about her decorations. In reality, it's none of my business. She could have done whatever she wanted -- it is her house, after all. I felt honored that she considered my feelings.

Even though the little girl part of me wanted ALL of the ornaments and lights and decorations, my grown-up brain kicked into gear and realized how much work it would be. Since I recently threw out my back again, I need to Not Bend as much as possible. Looks like this half-a$$ed tree will be the most beneficial thing for all of us. And you know what? It looks quite lovely just as it is.

The other night, I went over to Nerdtopia to get out of the house for a while. My parents played on their tablets while I read on my Nook. From my position on the couch, I could see the tree glowing in my peripheral vision. It was warm and comforting. Just right. I guess you can teach an Old Blondie new tricks. Who knew?

2 comments:

Melanie said...

funny you both posted about Christmas trees today. My parents bought a little tiny 4ft artificial tree a few years back (after years of real) and switched to smaller ornaments and I remember it beings kind of hard the first year but now i find it adorable.

Rita Arens said...

Melanie, our parents had the four-foot tree when we were really little kids, which is I think when I started swooning over the perfect trees. ha!